I was going to write this post yesterday..but I was SO UNCOMFORTABLE from all the food I ate.
Ok, I didn’t really eat as much as I thought I would. Ever since my body changed a little bit, I can’t eat a whole bunch before getting really stuffed. I also bloat so much it looks like I have a mini food baby. It’s weird.
This year my mom did Thanksgiving. Normally my Aunt Peg and Uncle Dan do it, but Aunt Peg was helping with a doctoral paper..so she wanted to focus on that. I get it, it’s a few hundred pages to edit. So instead of having about 10-15 people, there were just 5. Now that doesn’t mean we didn’t have a lot of food. Mom still made a whole turkey..and 3 pies. I still wanted to have some appetizers as well. I’ve been thinking about baked jalapeno poppers and I HAD to make stuffed mushrooms (Aunt Peg always does them, doesn’t feel like a holiday without them). I did both recipes two ways, with and without meat, for Sarah the vegetarian. She actually doesn’t eat meat, unlike me who still does from time to time.
Sarah and Jacob also got a new dog, my puppy nephew, Odie. That meant I had to make home made dog treats. I didn’t get a picture of those, but I saw his fuzzy face and just had to give him all the treats.
All these recipes are very easy and can be prepped ahead of time to be baked the next day.
Here’s what to get from the store:
Mild Italian Sausage
Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup quiona, cooked
2 Mild Italian Sausages
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
Shredded Cheddar and Gouda
Salt, Pepper, curry powder, paprika
- Cook the quiona, add cheeses and spices, set aside.
- Brown the meat, adding garlic, salt and pepper near the end.
- Remove the stems of the mushrooms and scrape out the black gills. Stuff with either the sausage or quiona.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven until browned.
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
2 Cans Cresent Roll Dough
2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
1/2 cp shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cp shredded gouda
Garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper
- Slice the jalapenos in half length wise and remove the seeds.
- Mix the cream cheese with shredded cheeses and spices.
- Stuff the cream cheese mixture into the jalapenos. Wrap a slice of bacon (optional) then a piece of the crescent dough.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven until crescents are browned. Serve with Blackberry BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
Blackberry BBQ Sauce
(I didn’t measure anything for this..sorry!!)
Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Mix everything in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Add the flour to thicken. Take off the heat and blend with an immersion blender.
Homemade Dog Treats
(Based off a recipe from Damn Delicious)
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 large eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour, (I used 2, air here is DRY)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
I’m getting a little frustrated with all the global negativity that’s been surrounding me. It’s insane that people are trying to create the same problems we’ve been through many times in the past. I’m about to start getting rid of anyone who posts anything raciest or anti-Muslim or “war on Christmas” I’m pretty much done. If you refuse to at least see the other side of the story, there’s almost no point in trying to talk to you.
Ok. Rant over. Trying to get around SAD is hard, but I’m pushing through.
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )